The City of Parkersburg and the Wood County HOME Consortium offer various housing programs for income-eligible households in Parkersburg and Wood County. Financed primarily through the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) CDBG and HOME programs, the City intends to have differing programs for several different housing-related goals.
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of housing based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or on familial status (presence of children under the age of 18, and pregnant women).
The US Department of Housing and Urban Development website has a multitude of fair housing information, including free housing downloads. If you feel your fair housing rights have been violated, report it to the National Housing Discrimination Hotline at 1-800-669-9777 (Voice) or 1-800-927-9275 (TTY).
Parkersburg – Wood County HOME Consortium
The Consortium is comprised of Wood County and the cities of Parkersburg, Vienna, and Williamstown, WV. These funds can be appropriate for projects in Wood County. For more information, call (304) 424-8452 or send an email to: email@example.com
Owner Occupied Rehabilitation
The Owner-Occupied Rehabilitation Loan Program provides 0% interest loans to qualified households to bring the family’s structure up to local building code standards. This program allows residents who may not qualify for a traditional home equity loan to make important improvements to their homes. Owners must meet income guidelines, live in Wood County and bring the house entirely up to code.
- Download the loan application - print, complete, and return to the Development Department. (opens PDF in a new window)
- Open the online application to submit it directly to Housing Division staff (opens in a new window)
Down Payment Assistance Program
The program's purpose is to assist eligible buyers become homeowners through down payment and closing cost assistance. To make homeownership an affordable reality, the City of Parkersburg has formed a working partnership among the local lending institutions and realtors.
The City of Parkersburg may provide up to $15,000 as a forgivable loan to eligible and approved pre-applicants to cover the costs associated with a reasonable down payment and closing cost expenses. The total amount of assistance provided will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Download the DPAP application - print, complete, and return to the Development Department. (opens PDF in a new window)
- Review the complete DPAP program guidelines. (opens PDF in a new window)
- Complete the DPAP application online and your responses will be submitted to the appropriate housing division staff.
Rental Rehab Program
The Rental Rehab Program (RRP) seeks to ensure that area tenants are provided with decent, safe, and sanitary living environments at affordable rent.
The RRP will be made available to provide owners of rental residential properties in Wood County with financial assistance to rehabilitate their properties. In exchange, property owners are required to rent to income-eligible tenants for at least five (5) years or the term of financial assistance.
The RRP may provide up to 50% of the eligible costs of rehab in the form of a 0% interest, deferred, and forgivable loan. At the end of the loan term, the loan is converted to a grant. Loans may range from $5,000 - $15,000 per unit.
- Rental Rehab Policy and Procedures
- Rental Rehab Application (to print)
- Rental Rehab Application (online)
Parkersburg Housing Programs
These programs are made available through the City’s Community Development Block Grant Funds and therefore are only available to residents in the corporate limits of the City of Parkersburg. For more information, call (304) 424-8452 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Emergency Repair Program
A grant of up to $6,000 is available for homeowners to assist with specific home repairs that eliminate conditions that are detrimental to the safety and health of the residents. The owner must live in their home as their primary residence, meet income guidelines, and reside within the City of Parkersburg corporation limits.
- Download the Emergency Home Repair Application - print, complete, and return to the Development Department. (opens PDF in a new window)
- Complete the application online and your responses will be submitted to the appropriate housing division staff.
Minor Home Repair
The Minor Home Repair Program seeks to provide residents who may not typically qualify for a traditional home equity loan with a grant to make needed improvements to their home to bring the unit closer to state and local building code standards. An earned grant of up to $15,000 is available to income-eligible homeowners located in the corporate limits of the City of Parkersburg.Residents
- Download the Minor Home Repair Application - print, complete, and return to the Development Department. (opens PDF in a new window)
- Minor Home Repair Guidelines
- Complete the Minor Home Repair application online and your responses will be submitted to the appropriate housing division staff.
The City is always in need of contractors to help with our minor home repair program! Benefits include:
- Consistent work on a variety of projects
- Guaranteed payment
- Helping improve your local community
- Using the skills you already have to help those in need
Real Estate Assisted Demolition (RAD) Program
The goal of the Real Estate Assisted Demolition (RAD) Program is to assist in removing blighted structures in the City of Parkersburg while not eliminating viable housing stock. The RAD seeks to improve the appearance, property value, and safety of residential neighborhoods within the City. This program provides funds to assist eligible property owners with the cost(s) associated with property abatement including, but not limited to, asbestos testing, title research, appraisal services, land clearing, structure demolition, and debris removal. The program provides deferred and forgivable loans for eligible expenses of qualified structures, as funding allows. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.
- Program Overview and Eligibility Requirements (opens a PDF in a new window)
- Complete the Real Estate Assisted Demolition application online and your responses will be submitted to the appropriate housing division staff.